Most Common Projects Requiring Permits

Water HeaterRoof
DeckChicken Coop
Honey BeekeepingHeating / Air Conditioning

Don't see your project on the list? Contact 311 to find out if you need a permit.

Permit Application


Permit Process

  1. Visit the Community Development Department at City Hall
  2. Provide the property address and explain your project. If you property is a designated landmark or located in a historic district, you will need a Certificate of Appropriateness / Solicitud para el Certificado de Obra Apropriada for any changes to the exterior of your property.
  3. Submit an application with the required documents.
  4. A plan review will be conducted when necessary.
  5. A building permit will be issued.


The type of work, cost of work, and applicable plan review fees will determine the cost of a building permit. View the current Building Fees Schedule.

  1. Community Development

    Physical Address
    150 Dexter Court
    Elgin, IL 60120

    Phone: 847-931-5920