The uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic has created financial instability for many. Here are some financial assistance programs in the community for those seeking to manage payments and provide for themselves and their families during this uncertain time. The City of Elgin will continue working with its community partners to keep this list up to date.
Last updated August 31, 2020
Illinois Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program
If you’ve been unable to pay your mortgage due to COVID-19, the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) will be offering an Illinois Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMA). Applications for EMA will be accepted from August 24 through September 4. Due to the anticipated high volume, the application window may close early. The program is expected to assist approximately 10,000 households. Funds are limited so complete your application as soon applications open on August 24. Only one application per household is allowed and an application is not a guarantee of assistance.
If you are approved, you will receive a grant of up to $15,000 that will be sent to your servicer to be applied against your mortgage. You may receive less than $15,000.
- Household adjusted gross income from 2019 Tax Return was at or below 120 percent of the Area Median Income;
- An adult member of the household has had a loss of income due to the COVID-19 crisis on or after March 1, 2020;
- Homeowner’s mortgage was current as of February 29, 2020;
- The mortgage is past due or in forbearance.
More information will soon be available on the IHDA website.
Illinois Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The application portal for the ERA program has closed and is no longer accepting applications. Please reach out to a community partner listed below or visit era.ihda.org should you wish to seek additional assistance.
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Northern Illinois, 620 Wing Street, Suite 4, Elgin, IL. Phone Number: 815-338-5757
- The Neighbor Project, 32 South Broadway, Aurora, IL. Phone Number: 630-906-9400
COVID Financial Assistance Programs in Elgin
Agency: St. Vincent de Paul (on East and West sides of Elgin)
- Type of Assistance: Financial assistance for rent, utilities, and pretty much anything else that is a necessity.
- How to apply: Call, leave a name, phone number, address, and what the need is. A volunteer will contact them within 24 hours. People on the east side of the Fox River should call 847-289-2222. People on the west side of the river should call 847-628-5170.
- Deadline: First come, first serve.
Agency: Senior Services Associates- Kane County
- Type of Assistance: Rental, Utility, etc.
- How to apply: call Senior Services to speak with an Information and Assistance specialist, ask about ICRF fund. This fund is to be utilized to assist older adults age 55 and older (regardless of disability), caregivers of older adults and persons with disabilities, and relatives (regardless of age) raising children.
- Deadline: Before August 19, 2020. Contact Senior Services Associates, Inc. Elgin office at 847-741-0404.
- Type of Assistance: Direct Cash Assistance
- How to apply: Application process with intake staff. Call 847-742-7930 for more information.
- Deadline: As long as funds are available
Agency: Salvation Army
- Type of Assitance: Emergency Financial Assistance Program. Help with rent and utility bills.
- How to apply: Calling the office at 847-741-2304 ext. 302 and making an appointment. Some documentation is required, including photo ID, proof of income, proof of emergency, and either a utility bill or two forms that the landlord must fill out.
- Deadline: First come, first serve
Agency: Community Crisis Center, Inc. (CCC)
- Type of Assistance: Rent, limited mortgage, and utility assistance
- How to apply: Contact CCC by calling the hotline at 847-697-2380 to see if you can be placed on a waiting list
- Deadline: None